All therapeutic measures for patients suffering from coxarthrosis are aimed at reducing pain, strengthening ligaments and muscles, slowing down the destruction of articular cartilage.
Regularity of classes is the most important condition for exercise therapy. Proper gymnastic exercises help to improve joint stability, as well as stretching and relaxing flexor and extensor muscles of the thigh.
In the process of treatment, dynamic (moving) and isometric (static) exercises are used, in which muscles are tightened without movement of the body itself. In this case, the range of motion in the hip joint should be within the limits of preserved mobility (before the onset of pain). In the course of numerous studies, it was proved that even with gross pathological changes in joints, patients with a well-trained muscular system develop compensatory (adaptive) mechanisms*. But for their formation, long systematic training is necessary.
* Compensatory mechanisms – reflex reactions aimed at eliminating or weakening functional shifts in the body caused by the environment, diseases, etc.
A patient suffering from arthrosis of the hip joint (AHJ) is recommended for such therapeutic exercises that strengthen the ligaments and muscles but do not force the joint to bend and unbend.
Rules for gymnastics:
- In case of arthrosis of the HJ, the motor activity recommended to the patient should not have negative effects on the articular cartilage. Gymnastics should be performed daily, that is, turn this need into a good habit, which will help to ensure good blood supply and mobility to the hip joint.
- Therapeutic exercises for arthrosis involve selection of a starting position that does not increase the load on the joint. During classes, an increase in load should occur due to an increase in the number of repetitions and the total number of exercises.
- Dosed weighting is recommended for many patients. To do this, use a special cuff or rubber band, fixed on the ankle. Each weighted exercise should be performed slowly, without expanding the range of motion.
- Breathing during class should be arbitrary.
- Any exercise ends with raising your hands (inhale) and lowering down (exhale).
Recommendation. It is advisable to combine gymnastics with self-massage of the thigh and gluteal muscles. To do this, you can use special massagers available on the market.
The best exercises for arthrosis of hip joint
- P. (starting position) – lying on the floor, on the stomach. Hands along the body, legs straight. Slow lifts are performed with a straight leg 15 degrees from the floor, holding it in this position for 30-40 seconds. Then legs change. This exercise is allowed to be performed only once with each leg (per training). All movements are made by the efforts of femoral and gluteal muscles.
Then the same movement is performed in a dynamic version: legs, straightened in the knee, are slowly and smoothly alternately lifted and held for 1-2 seconds at the top point. During the entire exercise therapy session, 10-12 lifts should be performed.
- P. – lying on the stomach, arms along the body. Right leg is bent in the knee at a right angle, the left leg is straight. The exercise is performed in the same way as the previous one. In static version – once each leg, in dynamic – 10-12 times. Then legs change.
- P. – lying on the stomach, on the floor. Legs are straightened, arms are extended along the body. Very slowly, straight legs lift to an angle of 15 ° from the floor, hold them aweigh, and then smoothly part and bring together (8-10 times).
This exercise is not recommended for patients with high blood pressure, as well as for people over 40 years old.
- P. – lying on the right side with right leg bent in the knee, the left one is straight. For about 30 seconds, the left leg must be kept aweigh (45 °), and then, after a short rest, roll over to the right side and perform the same movement with right leg.
- P. – sitting on the floor, legs straightened. Without bending your knees, you need to lean forward and try to wrap your palms around your feet or toes. Pulling body forward, you need to stay in this position for a couple of minutes. Perform it no more than once a day.